Bonchari Member of Parliament Oroo Oyioka shocked residents at a public forum in Suneka where he said Bursary beneficiaries are withholding cheques which were collectively issued amounting to 7M.
I took my time to synthesize and comprehend this Bonchari issue but still could not find any tangible or rather convincing reason that truly the cheques are withheld.
Lets face some facts before we proceed.
- CDF office has the record of all students who applied,the name of their respective institutions and admission numbers.
- Records is taken when a student or parent picks a collective cheque for a particular institution and when it was picked.
- You cannot be given a cheque from the CDF office without the relevant authority confirming that indeed you come from that particular institution and you are illegible to pick it on behalf of other students.
In my view if indeed the cheques were picked as alleged without the CDF officials considering the above process then it should be disbanded immediately for willingly and carelessly mishandling public funds.
Both the member of parliament and Bonchari CDF office claim the cheques were picked but they cant trace where they are withheld and who is withholding them.
Before we fully acknowledge and agree with honourable Oyioka’s sentiments, first lets ask the following questions.
- How did it happen that the people who picked the cheques amounting to 7M decided to withhold them at the same time?
- Why din’t the CDF office first confirm that the people picking the cheques indeed belong to those particular institutions because they have the record before releasing them?
- Who picked the cheques because the CDF Must be in a position to trace them since they have the record of the students who applied?
- How on earth do you issue a collective cheque without confirming from the record that the person taking it is indeed the correct representative?
Saying the cheques are withheld by the beneficiaries does not add up until the above questions are answered.
If any representative picked a particular cheque for a particular institution then his name must have been on record. Honourable and his CDF people must answer the electorate and clearly explain where the Bursary cash is.