Two people have died while another sustained slight injuries at a Kisii county quarry after a huge rock they were working on entrapped them on Monday Morning.
The incident happened at a Nyamonema quarry ,an intersection of Bobasi,Nyaribari Chache and Bonchari constituencies which had been on the spot over the safety of workers and area residents.
According to the area residents interviewed said the three had reported for duty and set out to excavate the rocks for ballast when the boulder fell on them. One of them managed to escape with some injuries and raised the alarm.
The residents sought the services of a bull -dosser from the nearby quarry and managed to retrieve the bodies jointly with the county government machinery.
They added that working at the quarries had proved risky not only to the workers but also to the ordinary people due to challenges of blasting and dust.
“The work at the quarries has been a risk not only to workers to the large community therefore we call upon the government to ensure the quarrying activity is made safe,” Edward Okenye said
Kisii south sub county deputy county commissioner,Kipkoech Kigen stopped any further excavation activity at the ill-fated quarry until further notice.
He said a multi-agency team will inspect the area with a view to identifying quarries that were dangerous and give the way forward.
Tom Togo,Kisii county environment officer said there was an urgent need for the amateur and unlicensed quarrying being conducted on private land to be coordinated and formalized to avoid loss of human lives.
Police removed the bodies to Kisii Teaching and Referral hospital mortuary pending investigations.